Council of the Republic of the National Assembly of the Republic of Belarus
The Council of the Republic of the National Assembly of the Republic of Belarus is the chamber of territorial representation. Eight members of the Council of the Republic are elected from each oblast and the city of Minsk by secret ballot at meetings of the base-level councils of deputies. The remaining eight members of the Council of the Republic are appointed by the President of Belarus.
A citizen of Belarus who has reached the age of 30 and has lived in the relevant region or the city of Minsk for at least five years can be a member of the Council of the Republic.
Powers of the Council of the Republic
- approves or rejects bills adopted by the House of Representatives on amending or updating the Constitution, other bills;
- gives prior consent to the President’s appointments of the Prosecutor General, Chairperson of the State Control Committee, Chairperson and members of the board of the National Bank;
- overrules decisions of local councils of deputies that contradict the legislation;
- decides on dissolution of a local council of deputies in the event of a regular or serious violation of the legislation and in other cases laid down in the legislation;
- makes decisions on other matters as set forth in the Constitution.
The Council of the Republic has the right of legislative initiative.
9 Krasnoarmeiskaya Street, Minsk, 220016, Belarus